July 7, 2013

Mini Red Velvet Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

After a few crazy days of Fourth of July festivities, I am ready to get back into my normal summer routine. Don't get me wrong, the Fourth of July is my favorite holiday (it even tops Christmas), and I thoroughly enjoyed 4 days of picnics, fireworks, and fun time with family and friends. However, it seems like the holiday gets drawn out when it falls during the work week because my family had a full agenda for the entire long weekend.

When attending a picnic or a potluck, deciding what to bring is usually a no-brainer when I am home...dessert! I never turn down the opportunity to try a new  recipe that I have been eyeing on Pinterest. These cupcakes were a cake/frosting/garnish combination that I thought up myself, and after bringing them to two different parties, I can say they were a hit! The frosting does not have an overwhelming orange flavor, but it does add a little extra tang to the cream cheese frosting. The candied blueberries on top were easy to make, and they help make these cupcakes the star of any dessert table!

RED VELVET CUPCAKES
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. cocoa powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup butter
1 cup + 2 tbsp. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. red gel food coloring
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and red gel food coloring. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the rest of the ingredients.

Pour batter into prepared mini muffin tins.

Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool for 3-4 minutes before removing from pan.

Recipe from Design Bake Run

ORANGE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
8 tbsp. butter
8 ounces cream cheese
2 tbsp. orange juice
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Beat cream cheese and butter together. Gradually add orange juice and powdered sugar until desired consistency is achieved.

CANDIED BLUEBERRIES
Egg whites
Blueberries

Lightly brush the clean and dry blueberries with egg whites. Roll in granulated sugar. Allow to dry before garnishing cupcakes.

Yields 48 mini cupcakes

Enjoy!
Bridget

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful blog and delicious recipes. Very nice job, Bridget!

    ReplyDelete